If you live in an older house, you’ll be aware that they sometimes need extra special attention. This is particularly relevant when it comes to the house’s electrical wiring. Unfortunately, faulty wiring isn’t always obvious, but there are a few signs that can be a good indication there might be trouble lurking behind the walls and ceilings.
Tripping breakers or fuses
Circuit breakers help prevent fire and electrocution by tripping or cutting the power supply when the regular flow of electricity around your house is altered. Fuses do the same job as a circuit breaker, only they need to be replaced every time they blow out.
If a circuit breaker or fuses are tripping a lot, it could mean there is a fault in the wiring somewhere in the circuit. A Melbourne electrician should be called out to examine the wiring as soon as possible.
Flickering and dimming lights
When an appliance that uses a lot of power is plugged in and switched on, there can sometimes be a momentary dimming of lights. This is usually a normal occurrence, although good wiring rarely dims. However, when the lights dim and flicker often, it can indicate faulty wiring or an older circuit breaker that may need replacing.
Discoloured sockets and switches
A power outlet that has a charred surface is a very bad sign, and it should be replaced straight away. A loose connection or faulty wiring can cause the socket to arc and produce a mini fire. It’s this short-lived fire that scorches the surface of the socket, leaving it discoloured.
A burning smell in and around your home should never be ignored. An electrical fire or a short that causes a brief burn has a distinctive acrid smell. If a burning smell is present and you can’t identify it call a domestic electrical service immediately. It’s also a smart idea to turn off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse until a professional has examined the circuit.
Shocking sockets and switches
A socket or switch that gives you an electrical shock is a sure indicator that something is wrong with the wiring somewhere.
It could be the outlet itself or a wiring problem with an appliance plugged into the socket. Either way it’s physically unpleasant, potentially dangerous and should be assessed by a qualified electrician.
If you suspect your home has faulty wiring problems, don’t hesitate to contact a professional experienced in electrical maintenance. Sydney based business Wired by Wyatt has a team of experts